Friday, May 23, 2014

Pregnancy #2: Halftime Report

Although I never made an official announcement here, I think I've alluded once or twice to the fact that I'm pregnant again! Yay! My due date this time around is October 13, which means I'm just about halfway done. Pregnancy the second time around has been both more exciting and more tedious than it was with Lucas, for a number of reasons.

A few days after my positive pregnancy test, I started bleeding. A quick doctor's appointment could confirm only that I was not miscarrying at that moment, and I was sent off for blood tests to check that the HCG levels in my blood were rising appropriately for a normal pregnancy. My levels were extremely high, which can indicate either something abnormal or multiples, so I was rushed back in for another ultrasound two days later. All was again normal, although the doctor said that it was possible this pregnancy began as twins. By the time of my 6 week ultrasound, though, there was only one tiny embryo and one heartbeat. Honestly, I was pretty relieved. Three under three is not something I would have handled particularly well.

The rest of the first trimester was pretty textbook. My morning sickness started earlier, lasted longer, and was significantly more intense than it was with Lucas. I used to brag that I never threw up while pregnant with Lucas until I was in labor. I .... can't say the same about this one. I still have moments of nausea now, if my stomach is empty, but for the most part it subsided at the beginning of the second trimester.

Taking my more serious sickness together with the other differences in symptoms from my pregnancy with Lucas, Brandon was utterly convinced we were having a girl to the point that he had me convinced as well. But when we had my anatomy scan a couple weeks ago, my second son confirmed that there's a reason they call them "old wives' tales" and not "medical facts."

Our little Kraken looks to be perfectly normal and healthy, and I am ecstatic to be having another boy.  I've always pictured myself with all boys for whatever reason, and having two of the same sex seems to me like the easier option. I'm really looking forward to two little boys tearing through my house in a couple years - hopefully it will take a little of the pressure off me when it comes to keeping them engaged and entertained!

Here are a few early bump photos! Sorry, they are just crappy selfies in front of my closet door but they get the job done.

12 weeks

16 weeks

20 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment