Thursday, March 21, 2013

Adventures in Cooking: Flank Steak and Veggies

I made such a delicious dinner tonight, I must brag about it.  I was inspired a bit by Tabitha, whose family has gone Paleo recently due to her son's food intolerances, and has been cooking a ton of delicious-looking veggies. I'm not giving up my bread or cheese anytime soon, but since we are trying to eat healthier lately, I gave it a try. I don't know if these recipes are Paleo or what, I don't really know the rules, but you should eat them regardless because they are way yummy. Also WW-friendly!

Marinated Flank Steak

Made this marinade and let the steak sit in it for about four hours. So tender and tasty, we seared it in our cast iron skillet for 2-3 minutes per side on medium-high heat. Let rest for ten minutes, then slice.

Roasted Garlic Cauliflower

Got this recipe as a recommendation from my sister. The only time I've ever eaten cauliflower before in my life is boiled and smashed so as to pretend they are mashed potatoes. YUCK. This recipe, by contrast, was freaking delicious and Brandon and I finished off an entire head of cauliflower and could have eaten more.

On the side of these two dishes, I sauteed a pile of spinach and kale from our CSA box in a little bacon and sliced shallots. Brandon is far more likely to eat sauteed greens if they are bacon-flavored. Hard to go wrong with those ingredients, this tasted excellent as well.

All three of these recipes fit my qualifications of short ingredient list and less than 30 minutes prep time. I did have to start dinner earlier than usual because the cauliflower roasted for about 40 minutes, but it was so worth it.

I love it when healthy eating is as tasty as regular eating.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! We think that eating healthy is just a nice side effect of eating tasty foods :) That flank steak sounds fantastic. I might just have to add a little steak in my grocery cart this weekend.

    ReplyDelete